5 Tips For How To Choose The Right Traffic Barriers
Thu, Oct 12, 2023
Traffic barriers are a key consideration for industrial and commercial premises alike.
However, choosing the right type of traffic barrier for your unique needs can be difficult with all of the options available. We’re here to help you find the right solution for your needs!
What are the different types of traffic barriers?
Before we delve into our top tips for choosing the right traffic barriers for your needs, it’s key to highlight the various different types available:
- Automatic Barriers: Automatic barriers are typically found at the entrance of restricted or high-security areas. Also used as a traffic calming measure, preventing through traffic, while allowing authorised vehicles such as emergency services and buses to take advantage of the shorter and more direct route, automatic barriers offer a versatile solution.
- Height Restriction Barriers: Height Restriction Barriers provide a low cost solution to a wide variety of parking, road access and traffic management requirements. An ideal solution for the prevention of access for unauthorised high vehicles, these barriers are great for height-restricted areas such as multi-storey car parks.
- Manual Barriers: Manual Raise Arm Barriers are a low maintenance, cost effective way of manually controlling access to unauthorised areas and are a great solution for areas that only need to be restricted during limited times of the day.
Within each traffic barrier category, there are many different types of access control systems and product options, ensuring that you can achieve the perfect traffic barrier system for your unique needs. Now you know the difference between them, you can start to identify which barriers will work best for you!
1. Identify your needs
Clearly defining the purpose and role of a traffic barrier within your premises is key to finding the right solution for your needs. Your business’ unique purpose and whether you’re a commercial or industrial enterprise will have a direct impact on the priorities for your traffic barrier and this should be taken into consideration when it comes to weighing up the pros and cons of various options.
Are you investing in a traffic barrier to improve road safety, enhance the security of your premises or to manage vehicles going in and out of a commercial car park? Once you’ve identified the purpose of your traffic barrier, it’s time to consider factors such as speed, location and the type of traffic that will be engaging with the barrier. These factors will have a direct impact on the height, speed and type of barrier you need. Gaining a deep understanding of your specific needs is the first step in making the right choice!
For example, for commercial car parks, an automatic barrier might be the best choice whilst if you’re ensuring that tall vehicles don’t damage your commercial premises, a height restriction barrier may be more appropriate.
2. Consider Regulatory Compliance
Be sure to research the regulations and safety requirements for your application as these are sure to vary depending on your circumstances. This will narrow down your options and enable you to make a much more informed decision regarding your traffic barrier.
3. Evaluate Maintenance Needs
Next, it’s time to assess the barrier’s reliability, durability and resistance to external factors such as harsh weather conditions and general wear and tear. Depending on the use of your barrier, you may need to invest in a more robust and durable barrier that can withstand the test of time. However, if you only need a temporary solution, a more cost-effective, manual barrier could be the way forward.
4. Think About Your Control System
Traffic barriers are available in a range of different control mechanisms including automatic, manual and remote control. When considering the various traffic barriers, be sure to consider how close a vehicle will need to get to a mechanism for it to automatically lift and consider whether or not your application requires remote control management or if it would be suitable to choose a manual barrier.
5. Seek Advice From Experts
If you’re still unsure about which traffic barrier is right for you, don’t hesitate to get in touch with experts such as ourselves! We’re here to help you make informed decisions that will support your business operations and ensure safety for your team and other personnel who will come into contact with the traffic barrier.
By following these top tips, you’ll be much better equipped to choose the perfect traffic barrier for your application! If you’d like to consider alternative traffic control measures, check out our Perimeter Security Systems.
If you need a helping hand, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us on 03334 050 530 or tap the button below!